Thursday, March 1, 2012

Amy Reinert 1975-2012



I lost my best friend last week to an aggressive cancer. She was 36. Amy was my inspiration from our duets in the elementary school choir, into high school biology and chemistry, through college majors in environmental studies, and in educating others to conserve the world for future generations.

She inspired me most by living what she taught, and through her desire to always keep learning. She volunteered in the Peace Corps, worked tirelessly as a high school teacher, camped often, sang loudly, played hard, loved deeply, and had such a hearty overwhelming laugh that it sometimes took over her entire being, forcing her to sit down wherever she was to recover.

Doing right for people and planet was second nature to Amy, and her passing has again inspired me to do more with the short time we have, to be a better steward of the earth. And so dear friends, I’m starting to again blog for betterworldbuys.com as one step in my efforts to make the most of each moment.

If you were fortunate enough to have known or encountered the lovely Ms. Reinert, I invite you to respond to this blog with some examples of how she has inspired you!

I’ll sign off for now with the quote Amy used to wrap up all of her e-mails…

“Now I see the secret to making a good person:
It is to grow in the open air and eat and sleep with earth”
-Walt Whitman

For all you have inspired me to be and do Amy, I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment